Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Freekeh Styleh


I won't deny it, I bought a box of freekeh purely for it's name. Sadly it's pronounced 'free-kah', but
nobody can stop me from calling it 'freaky' forevermore! I had no idea what it was or how I was going to use it, and admittedly it did sit in the cupboard for at least a month whilst I hoped I'd receive a bolt of inspiration from the Food Gods above. I didn't of course.

Freekeh or farik is a cereal food made from green wheat that goes through a roasting process in its production.

I took the plunge last week and discovered this nutty cereal is quite delicious if paired with plenty of the lovely seasonal veg available this time of year. I roasted some butternut squash (my favourite), sweet potato and red onion with a few sprigs of rosemary from the garden (I have ALWAYS wanted to say that!!) and stirred it though the cooked freekeh. 

I have since been on Pinterest and found lots of other delicious looking recipes I'd like to try, like this dish.


I followed the instructions on the packet, but next time I'd use some veggie stock instead of plain water because it was a little bit bland without. To finish off I used a vegetable peeler to slice long ribbons of carrot and stirred them in before serving, I like the freshness of raw carrot and the ribbons warm through really quickly. It was great for lunch, filling and healthy. It's not too lengthy to make if you don't mind sticking some veg in the oven of an evening, and I am thinking of making up another batch to keep in the fridge to have as a side dish through the week. 



Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow looks delicious! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete