Monday, 19 October 2015

How Does Your Garden Grow? // Bulbs and a Looking Glass

I have a confession to make - we pulled the poor old honeysuckle out last weekend and I am sorry (not sorry). It was very woody at the bottom and spreading outwards along the floor. All through the summer we tried to tie it to the trellis but it just wouldn't stay and I felt it was encroaching on its neighbours and looked pretty messy. It does feel so much tidier without it and we have popped a little shrub in its place by way of an apology.


We also pulled out the dozen or so gladioli I had plonked throughout the flower bed. They were lovely but in the wrong places really, and too spread out from one another. At least I know lovely flowers can be grown in our garden, but I have learnt to plan their positions a bit better next time!

Talking about planning, I have turned to Pinterest for bulb-planting inspiration and I think I have seen what I am going to do for next year...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/410249847285654659/

I love clusters of the same flower and I think I have mustered enough skills in the last 12 months to achieve this look. I have quite a few pots and I went on a little spree a few weeks ago and bought bulbs for daffs, tulips, crocuses and muscari. I don't have any of the big hyacinths but that's easily remedied! I also bought some white and blue alliums (but I don't think 5 will be enough!!), some more anemones and some snowdrops, too.

And how gorgeous does this gladioli patch look?! Definitely something to try this time round. It is just so striking and lovely.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/410249847285725385/

In other news, the good old geraniums are still going strong and I rescued a mirror my neighbour had left out on the street for the rag and bone man. Any ideas for it would be great! I am still in love with the lavender and feeling a lot less guilty since I re-potted that patio rose. It's bloomin' blooming now!




I also had my first go at arranging a large planter. I went for thyme and heather to accompany the little conifer, and split an ivy plant I already had. I have no idea if they're well suited to eachother, and it's not a great pic but you get the idea! 

Oh yes, and in pulling out weeds and old bulbs, I accidentally wrenched the calendula out! I was mortified... but I quickly planted it in a spare pot and it has bounced back... I hope it will be ok in there! All in all quite an eventful week in the garden, despite starting uni and the rest of the chaos family life brings. 


Mammsaurus HDYGG

13 comments:

  1. I love the idea of group bulb planting. I have mirrors in the garden, just randomly dotted around, catching the sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely! This one is quite big and I am a bit worried about blinding someone if I put it along the fence that the flowerbed runs along, as the sun shines on there all day...

      Delete
  2. Love that potted bulb planting idea in pots and I think the UK weather will be wet enough so they won't dry out too!
    I had a real 'freaked out' moment when I saw the photo with you in as I am wearing exactly the same clothes at this very moment *spoooooky* for a moment it looked like I was looking at myself and I got all confused! (it doesn't take much to do that in fairness...)
    Thank you for joining in and sharing some lovely colour! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! And of course being a photographer you must only think of yourself with the camera in front of your face like that, too!!

      Delete
  3. I have a honeysuckle that needs removing, so woody and practically making the fence lurch forward. You have reminded me that I need to get my bulbs into some pots, usually I plant them into the borders but over the winter we are planning a garden overhaul so grouped in pots it will be and then I can dot them around the garden for pops of colour. That's a great find the mirror, they look good in the garden creating points of interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, you've made me feel much better about pulling that one out now!! Look forward to seeing your new look garden come next year, how exciting!

      Delete
  4. i feel like everything about a garden is trial and error. you got to try things out to see if they work. or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Claudia. You've just got to give things a go, or else you'll never know! It's one of the best lessons gardening has taught me...along with 'have patience'...hmm...still working on that one! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely ideas there from Pinterest and love the idea of clusters of the same flower in pots. They will look beautiful reflected in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest never fails me!! And that's a great idea to place them near the mirror, it'll look like I have twice as much :-D

      Delete
  6. I've been tempted a few times to pull out our Honesysuckle, they do seem to have a mind of their own. Planting bulbs in groups seems like the way to go, lots of colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, speaking from the Other Side...I'd say just go for it! ;-) But it did feel like a bit of a crime at the time I must admit. Can't wait to get in the garden this weekend and do some potting!

      Delete
  7. Great inspiration for pots here. I've gone for heather in my pots too and potted them up last weekend. Heather is the new honeysuckle... erm... #hdygg

    ReplyDelete