Saturday, 10 October 2015

How Does Your Garden Grow? // Red Roses and the Brave Anemone


Another week of developments and discoveries in our little patch of the earth at the rear of our house. The rose bush I found in the bargain bin a couple of months ago has started blossoming again. I don't know what I do to deserve such gifts as it's been sat in it's tiny pot on the concrete since I brought it home. I am a bad gardener! But there she is, presenting me with a perfect red rose.


I'm much more of a soft touch than I ever thought I was, too. I mean, snails are the enemy aren't they? And now I even like bloody weeds! As much as I know I need to get rid of them, these do look sweet.


I have been watching an anemone shoot up and up the last couple of weeks and yesterday it opened its petals and stood proud for all to see. I love its delicate seeds and how the petals look airbrushed with red. I think it looks so brave, relying on it's long, thin stem.



Autumnal decay is creeping in but there is still plenty of colour out there, with gorgeous honeysuckle, fuschia and calendula. I love the drama of this season as the summer flowers make their slow and steady descent to hibernation alongside autumn-flowering shrubs that are just getting into their stride.








Dinner for one!





I also found a lovely, lovely book in a charity shop during the week for 50p (!) and discovered the name of a few of our shrubs. The 'pom pom plant' is actually called a Kerria japonica, would you believe! And there I was thinking I had made a botanical discovery.



Mammsaurus HDYGG

6 comments:

  1. I sowed some wild flower seeds earlier in the year and I had given up on them but I noticed this week they have come up and flowered. I think I appreciate the autumn flowers more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh it's such a lovely feeling to see new flowers this time of year, isn't it? When you expect everything to be fading away! xx

      Delete
  2. I am loving the covert bunny in these shots! This really is a fab time of year isn't it? Perfect for a pale skinned freckly bod like me - cooler weather, Summer colours still lurking and the leaves changing colour - what's not to love?!
    Thank you for joining in and sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it so much, even more so in my first year as a gardener (believe me I use that term very loosely!!) I am just so amazed by all the colour and life in our small garden which is essentially a patch of grass, one flower bed and a few pots. I am so happy to have found your blog, it's been a real inspiration to get out there and soak up the seasons. I'll stop gushing now, but thanks! :-)

      Delete
  3. I think we appreciate the remaining flowers of autumn all the more because of their scarcity. Tho thato hang on the longest deserve our attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They seem to shout "I'm not finished yet!!" haha! Xx

      Delete