Friday, 9 October 2015

Caramel Apple Breakfast Cupcakes


Our team meetings at work have become a bit of a thing. The five of us bring so much food to this two-hour affair that we've stopped bringing our packed lunches in. My last few contributions have been a bit lazy; a bag of sweet and salty popcorn, a share bag of crisps or a punnet of something. But this month I wanted to make something and seize the opportunity to practice some vegan bakery. 

I have made this recipe by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero a dozen times now and they always come out great. This time I added my own twist to create these autumnal breakfast cupcakes. I am the only vegan in my team but they went down a treat, some people took two! :-)

You will need:

1 cup / 250ml soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups / 200g plain flour 
2 tbsp cornflour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1/3 cup / 80ml oil (I used sunflower)
3/4 cup / 160g caster sugar
1 tsp caramel flavouring
4 tbsp Bramley apple sauce
Icing sugar, for dusting

Step one: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. I use an oven thermometer to make sure the temperature is right and it's made such a difference to my baking! Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with cases. I like the Dr Oetker plain white ones available in the supermarket because they're nice and big.

Step two: Whisk the soya milk and apple cider vinegar in a jug and set aside for a few minutes. The apple cider vinegar will thicken the soya milk. 

Step three: Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and spices into a large mixing bowl. Add the oil and flavouring to the soya milk mixture and gradually whisk it in to the dry ingredients, making sure you get rid of any lumps. I use a hand whisk for this so as to avoid over-beating and I find it easier to get the lumps out and to mix gradually. If you are using an electric mixer, try not to mix for more than two minutes.

Step four: Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes until risen, golden and springy to touch. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar. Enjoy! 


Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

2 comments:

  1. They are so utterly perfect and look delicious! Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki, they were lovely - in fact I am going to make another batch today! :-)

      Delete