Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Perfect Pancakes


Pancakes aren't just for Shrove Tuesday y'know. A firm believer of this is my son, who would eat them every morning if he could. I have tried a couple of vegan pancake recipes but they've ended up like the result of throwing a load of flour and water into a hot pan (because, well...that's pretty much what I did...) But times have changed. I had a light bulb moment and asked in one of the vegan Facebook groups* I'm in if anyone had any better ideas and quick as you like I was provided with a recipe to end all recipes. I tweaked it slightly, so here's my version...

You will need:
1 cup / 120g of self-raising flour
1.5 cups / 375ml of non-dairy milk
3 tbsp oil and a dash to oil the pan if yours isn't super duper non-stick
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Step one: Sieve the flour into a large bowl and gradually whisk in the milk until nice and smooth. Make sure all the lumps are out. Whisk in the oil and vanilla extract.

Step two: Lightly grease the pan (if you need to) and place on a high heat until very hot. Ladle in the pancake mix and gently tilt the pan until the mix covers the pan. When bubbles appear, use a non-stick spatula to gently lift the pancake off the base of the pan, check that it's nice and golden underneath and then flip it over. Once it's golden brown on both sides, slide the pancake out on to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel whilst you make the rest. Pile them up under the tea towel and they should stay hot.

Step three: Roll them up and serve with lots of lemon juice and sugar, or Golden Syrup if you're as big a fan as my son!

Enjoy!


*If you're considering going vegan or a newby like me, I highly recommend joining a couple of vegan Facebook groups for friendly advice, ideas and supermarket finds. My favourites are 'Vegan Friends UK' and 'What Fat Vegans Eat' which is international but excellent for food inspo.

Free From Farmhouse

4 comments:

  1. My son would eat pancakes every morning too, if I had the time to make them every morning! He is also a huge fan of golden syrup haha. I love your easy pancake recipe - I've had a few pancake fails too but I think I've pretty much nailed it now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same here! There is something so moreish about them and they feel special no matter how many times you have them! Thanks for reading xx

      Delete
  2. I can't believe these look so good but are so simple. I have tried a few vegan pancake recipes before too and they have failed miserably. I will have to give these a go.Thanks for linking with #freefromfridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma, I must admit I expected these to be another fail to be honest. When they didn't stick I thought they'd look weird...when they looked normal I thought they'd taste crap! But I can hand on heart say you wouldn't know the difference and it seems so mad that eggs were ever used in the first place! Would love to hear if they work for you, too :-) Amy xx

      Delete