Monday, 19 January 2015

Free Crochet Pattern: Cabbage Patch Bonnet



I found my old Cabbage Patch doll last week and I know it sounds stupid but I felt so guilty when I saw her dirty face looking up from an old cardboard box. I've had this doll since
I was a baby myself and she was my most loved toy. Those in the know will remember that Cabbage Patch babies came with an adoption certificate and mine is called Roseanne, affectionately shortened to Rosie by my toddler self.

She has always worn an old knitted bonnet and cardigan of mine, too big and now a bit tatty, so I thought it was about time I put my crochet to good use and make her something new. 

Although I have written this pattern myself, I was inspired to make this bonnet by a picture I found on Ravelry which I have since lost. If you recognise it please let me know so I can give credit for the inspiration. 

I used a 5mm crochet hook and double-knit yarn. I use US crochet terms because I learnt using predominantly American blogs / tutorials, but if you crochet in UK terms just replace each double crochet (dc) with a treble crochet (tr).

This bonnet fits my Cabbage Patch baby but if you would like it to fit a real baby you could increase the number of rounds you do to 12, and lengthen the ties.

In rounds 1-4 you will just be crocheting a four-round granny square but I have written them out step-by-step if you need them. If you know how to do this already, go ahead then skip to round 5 :-)

Round 1
Ch 4, join with slip stitch to make a loop
Ch3, 2dc into the loop to make the first cluster
*Ch2, 3dc into the loop*, repeat from *to* twice more to make 4 clusters in total
Ch2 and join to 3rd ch of beginning ch3. Tie off if you would like to change colours or continue straight to round 2 if not.

Round 2
Ch3, 2dc into ch2 space from round 1, ch2, 3dc into the same space to make the first corner
Working straight into the next corner, *3dc, 2ch, 3dc*, repeat from *to* twice more until you reach the first corner. 
Join to 3rd ch of the beginning ch3. 
Tie off if you would like to change colours or continue straight to round 3 if not.

Round 3
Ch3, 2dc into ch2 space from round 2, ch2, 3dc into the same space to make the first corner.
*3dc into the space between the next two clusters of the previous round
(3dc, ch2, 3dc) into the corner space*
Repeat from *to* 3 times until you reach the beginning of the round. 
Join to 3rd ch of the beginning ch3. 
Tie off if you would like to change colours or continue straight to round 4 if not.

Round 4
Ch3, 2dc into ch2 space from round 2, ch2, 3dc into the same space to make the first corner.
*3dc into the two spaces between the clusters of the previous round
(3dc, ch2, 3dc) into the corner space*
Repeat from *to* 3 times until you reach the beginning of the round. 
Join to 3rd ch of the beginning ch3. 
Tie off if you would like to change colours or continue straight to round 5 if not.

Round 5
For this round we are going to work from the bottom right-hand corner to the bottom left-hand corner.
Join your yarn into the bottom right-hand corner and ch3. 2dc into the same space. Work 3dc into each space around, until you reach the bottom left-hand corner of the square. Do not put two clusters into the corner spaces to bring the corners in and give the bonnet shape. 

Rounds 6-8
For the next 3 rounds you will repeat the steps in round 5, however you will need to join your yarn to the first dc of the first cluster of each round and ch3. Then work 3dc into the next available space and go from there. If you just work straight into the first space you will create gaps all along the bottom edge of the bonnet. Once you have finished round 8, tie off and sew in your ends.

Wavy edging and ties
The ties on my bonnet are long enough to make a bow but if you would like them longer just increase the number of chain stitches you do. 

Ch20 and join to the first dc of the bottom right-hand corner of your bonnet (the bonnet should be right-side up).
Slip stitch across to the first space (should be two slip stitches). 
*Hdc, dc, hdc. Slip stitch across to the next space* and repeat from *to* until you reach the bottom left-hand corner. 
Slip stitch to the very last dc and ch20 (or however many chains you decided on). 
Tie off and enjoy your lovely new Cabbage Patch bonnet! 






No comments:

Post a Comment